Work at the Department
The Department of Electrophysiology and Electrostimulation is an integral part of the Cardiology Clinic. The clinic has an inpatient unit where all patients who are treated for various forms of heart rhythm disorders are accommodated. Most patients are those who undergo invasive electrophysiological procedures: electrophysiological examination, catheter ablation of cardiac arrhythmias, implantation of permanent pacemakers, cardioverter defibrillators or diagnostic loop recorders, but also for electrocnoversion for atrial fibrillation or intravenous antiarrgyrhmic therapy. Furthermore, patients suffering from severe forms of cardiac insufficiency and those undergoing other cardiac procedures (coronary angiography, PCI, TAVI, ASD closure, FOA) are accommodated in the cardiology inpatient unit. Medical doctors and other medical staff at the department actively participate in the admission, processing, preparation and monitoring patients before and after these procedures. Immediately after being admitted at the department, each patient is completely processed by the medical team, which once again determines his/her current condition, the existence of indications for a particular intervention, other important diseases, and also develops a strategy for his/her treatment.
During the time spent at the Department of Cardiology, patients are subjected to various procedures (blood sampling, ultrasound heart examinations, scanner imaging of the heart, chest and aorta). Patients are thoroughly monitored immediately before and after cardiac procedures and prepared for discharge. Medical doctors of the Department also participate in monitoring patients after the completion of interventional procedures. Patients who are subjected to implantation of a pacemaker or defibrillator must be telemetrically monitored and their wounds dressed prior to discharge.
Divisions and departments:
- Electrophysiology Division
- Electrostimulation Division
Instructions for patients
General information: Patients are admitted to the Department of Electrophysiology and Electrostimulation according to previously scheduled appointments. Upon admission each patient should provide all available medical documentation, blood and biochemistry test results not older than 15 days, blood type as well as previously performed specifically requested test results (INR, bleeding time, 24-hour Holter ECG, coronary angiography, etc.). Patients are admitted at the outpatient unit on weekdays from 07:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. During their stay at the Department, patients are obliged to follow the advice of medical doctors and medical staff.
All required documents for the preparation of the patient for interventional procedures shall be provided to the patient upon scheduling the admission at the competent outpatient units (link to documents for coronary angiography, PCI, electrophysiological procedures)
The arrhythmology outpatient unit performs the following activities:
- First diagnostic examination: Examination of patients with heart rhythm disorders, referred by a competent internist or cardiologist. Patients should provide a Holter ECG, ultrasound of the heart and an optimal ECG record of heart rhythm disorders or tachycardia. The specialist in electrophysiology compiles a report and, if necessary, submits the documentation to the electrophysiological medical advisory board.
- Telemetric controls of pacemakers, defibrillators, loop recorders: Assessment of pacemaker or cardioverter defibrillator function, electrode operation, battery condition, device memory review
- Analysis of 24-hour Holter ECG monitoring – Installation, removal of Holter monitor, analysis of ECG records and diagnosis of arrhythmia detected during Holter monitoring.
- Electrophysiological medical advisory boardmakes a decision on the method of treating the patient and determines indications for interventional procedures: electrophysiological examination, catheter ablation, implantation of a pacemaker, cardioverter defibrillator or diagnostic loop recorder. The decision of the medical advisory board can be taken over by the patient at the main counter of the Institute.
Working hours of the outpatient unit: on weekdays 08 a.m. – 08 p.m.
Procedure for scheduling outpatient unit examination: Appointments can be scheduled through the IHIS System or directly by contacting the outpatient unit at 011 3601 665 and 011 3601 666.
E-mail: the department has no official e-mail