Work at the Department
The Neuroangiology Office is equipped with three ultrasound devices. Between six and seven thousand ultrasound examinations of all large blood vessels are performed annually. Since our institution performs about 500 carotid endarterectomy procedures every year, the majority of diagnostic procedures are examinations of the carotid and vertebral arteries. Precise assessment of carotid plaque morphology and extent of stenosis is performed preoperatively, whereas during the course of postoperative recovery we monitor results of surgical interventions as well as results of interventional radiological procedures. Our office also provides ultrasound examinations of arteries and veins of the upper and lower limbs, abdominal aorta and its branches. Neurological consultative examinations are also performed for patients admitted for hospital treatment at the Institute.
List of procedures
1. COLOR DOPPLER ULTRASONOGRAPHY:
- carotid and vertebral arteries
- arteries and veins of the upper limbs
- radial and ulnar arteries with assessment of collateral circulation of the hand in preoperative patient preparation for cardiac surgery
- arteries and veins of the lower limbs
- superficial and deep veins of the lower limbs in preoperative patient preparation for vascular and other surgical interventions (orthopedics, abdominal surgery, gynecology…)
- abdominal aorta and visceral arteries (renal arteries…)
- transcranial duplex sonography
2. NEUROLOGICAL AND ANGIOLOGICAL EXAMINATION
- Preoperative neurological examination
- Neurological monitoring and treatment of patients in the postoperative period.
Instructions for patients
On weekdays 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Previous ultrasound findings and discharge notes, if the patient was previously treated in our
Outpatient ultrasound examinations of blood vessels as well as examinations of patients admitted for hospital treatment are performed in the Neuroangiology office. A precise assessment of the severity of the blood vessels disease is performed as a part of the preoperative patient preparation, whereas results of surgical (carotid endarterectomy, bypass procedures) and radiological interventions (artery dilatation, stent implantation…) are monitored postoperatively.
Outpatient examinations are scheduled through the IHIS at the community health center.
Upon admission, it is necessary to provide ultrasound findings and discharge notes, if the patient was previously treated in our institution.
Examination of blood vessels does not require any special preparation, except in case of abdominal aorta examination when special preparation is advised (the same as for the ultrasound examination of the abdomen) in order to enable better imaging of the aorta and its branches.
Working hours of the outpatient unit – on weekdays 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Telephone: 011 3601 668